How to hire a sales representative
How do you find the right sales professional to help you boost sales, increase conversion rates, gain new leads, or meet targets? Here’s an overview of what you can do to find, hire, and work with a freelance sales representative.
Identify what your sales consultant will be doing
The first step in the process is to clearly define what products or services you’re selling to give your potential sales rep an idea of what they’ll be working with. Depending on the length of your sales cycle, you may need expertise in all or some of the following:
- Lead generation. Are they coming on board to help find new customers and create interest around your brand? Lead gen experts often use digital tools like website optimization, social media marketing, paid search, SEO, mobile marketing, and email.
- Consulting on your current sales process. Need a sales consultant to take a look at your existing sales operation and help streamline and optimize? Want to test another sales channel before implementing it, like live chat sales?
- Outbound sales. These sales professionals reach out directly to fresh leads, including cold calling consumers and businesses that may have an interest in the your product.
- Inbound sales and marketing. Do you have a new site or revenue stream that needs a boost? An inbound sales professional can optimize your site performance and convert website visitors into active leads using data-driven metrics. They also create sales funnels for new products to drive interest and sales.
- Peak season volume overflow or new product launches. Need sales support to handle a seasonal influx or initial, post-launch increase in calls?
- Upselling and cross-selling.
沙巴体育足球开户Refining your sales goals with a basic overview can help you identify high-level information such as who you’re targeting, opportunities (e.g., size of market), decision maker for each stage of the sales cycle, and any daily, weekly, or monthly goals. This may require some research to create the necessary documents your sales rep will need to get started and optimize their time.
How to create the ideal sales professional job description
沙巴体育足球开户Want to engage an independent sales professional to help grow your business with new leads, refine your campaign strategy, optimize your CRM’s potential, and more? Matching your sales needs to the ideal professional starts with a great job post—and this guide can help.
沙巴体育足球开户Keep in mind that many people use the term “job description,” but a full job description is only needed for employees. When engaging a freelancer as an independent contractor, you typically just need a statement of work, job post, or any other document that describes the work to be done.
Your job post needs to clearly answer three questions:
- What do you need done?
- When do you need it?
- What are the start and end dates for your project?
Answering these questions with the pertinent details can not only help you attract more qualified talent, but you’ll also receive more accurate proposals.
Questions to ask before writing a salesperson job post
Before posting a job, consider these questions:
- What are your goals? New leads? More traffic? Higher conversion rates? Are these goals weekly, monthly, or quarterly?
- Who are you targeting?
- Do you need a sales professional who’s familiar with a line of business or industry?
- What tools, channels, or platforms should the professional be skilled with? (e.g. paid search, Google AdSense, Salesforce, sales automation tools, etc.?)
- What’s the status of your current sales process? Do you need to give your sales process or team a boost?
- Are you planning to launch a new revenue stream or channel that will need sales support? Is this support seasonal in nature?
- What channels are you not in that you’d like to try, test or experiment with?
- Are there any new tools or tech you’d like to implement? (e.g. live chat?)
- How is your data collected and managed today? Do you need any additional analytics or visualization support?
- Will you need supporting sales content created?
Sample sales professional project description
Title: Motivated Sales Professionals for Boutique Marketing Firm
Are you a talented, goal-oriented sales professional with a passion for helping clients succeed? We need help following up with leads generated from our website and educating potential clients about the branding/marketing strategies we offer. Deep chops with digital marketing, social ad sales, and content marketing are required.
- Find and qualify a contact person for each of 400 companies on a cold lead list for the sales team to follow up with
- Provide weekly reports
- Basic understanding of Salesforce
- Expertise in tele/online sales with excellent customer service skills
- A solid understanding of online marketing
- Salesforce Marketing Cloud experience is a plus
- Include the word “glasses” in the first line of your cover letter
To submit a proposal, please tell us about a recent sales experience where you exceeded a client’s specific needs in a creative way. Also include a little bit about yourself and why you fel you would be an ideal fit for this project.
Please submit your proposal by month, date, year.
SALES REPRESENTATIVES FAQ
What does a sales representative do?
沙巴体育足球开户Sales consultants help businesses educate potential customers on the benefits of purchasing a product or service. They walk leads through the pain points of the problem your business aims to solve and help convert them into customers and clients.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in freelance sales reps:
- Persuasive writing, speech, and presentation skills
- Public speaking
- Experience networking and building relationships with customers
- Market research
- Experience communicating with customers via phone, email, and chat
沙巴体育足球开户Sales reps help businesses boost sales and increase their bottom lines.
Why hire sales representatives?
The trick to finding top sales reps is to identify your needs. Do you need help with voice, email, chat, or all three? Are you looking for someone who can give in-person sales presentations or speak at a public event or trade show? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a sales representative?
沙巴体育足球开户Many people know a sales representative’s pay depends on their skills, experience, and industry norms. But what also affects their cost depends on their pay structure too. To calculate how much to budget for your next sales representative, let’s start by looking at…
Common pay structures for sales representatives
There are different ways to structure pay for sales representatives. Some structures work better for representatives you want to bring on as full-time employees. Other structures work better for representatives you want to bring on as freelancers.
沙巴体育足球开户When deciding how much to budget, keep in mind that freelancers are businesses. Although they set their own pricing, your pay structure may affect their rates and whether they want to sell your product. So be open to negotiating different structures for the right sales representative. Here are some common pay structures:
沙巴体育足球开户The sales representative only makes money when they sell something. Although they bear most of the risk, some freelancers prefer it because the commissions are high. Unlike most employees, freelancers often have more than one income source so they can sell for others while they sell for you. This grants them more flexibility when starting up.
Commission only + draw
A draw is an advance on future commissions. Before paying commissions, subtract any draws made. Draws allow commission-only sales reps time to learn your product and not lose stability, but you share some of the risk. Because if the salesperson doesn’t perform, you may not recover the draw. Many representatives find this plan attractive when the commission percentages are higher than if you paid a base rate plus commission.
Base rate + commission
This is a common structure where the sales representative receives a base rate and a commission on top of that. You share some of the risk with the representative, while still freeing them to control their earning potential. And because of the base pay, the commission rate is usually lower than if it was commission only.
Base rate + bonus
沙巴体育足球开户In this structure, you use the bonus as a performance incentive. Representatives receive a base rate and can earn bonuses for hitting milestones, maintaining a sales price, or selling certain products. This often works better for employees who are fully integrated into your business. Because it allows you to focus on certain areas of the business you want to improve, and change the focus as needed.
Budgeting for experience vs. talent
When searching for sales reps, it’s tempting to seek those with more experience. But don’t just look at their overall number of years selling. Look at the years they sold in your industry, or in the channel you need. Someone with five years of inbound phone sales experience has different skill sets than someone with 10 years of door-to-door sales.
Sometimes, budget constraints may require you choose between experience and talent. Many suggest you can compromise on experience, but you should never compromise on talent. Because a talented person can learn about new products and industries. But no matter how experienced a person is, you can’t teach drive and personality.