How to hire resume writers
You’re skilled, you’ve got experience, and you think you have what it takes to apply for and win that dream job you’ve always wanted. There’s just one problem: You’re not sure if your resume writing skills are good enough to reflect your expertise. A professional resume writer can help your resume stand out from the crowd.
沙巴体育足球开户So how do you find resume writers? What follows are some tips for finding top resume writing consultants on Upwork.
How to shortlist resume writing freelancers
沙巴体育足球开户As you’re browsing available resume writing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a resume writer who understands your industry so that they can use the appropriate keywords needed to pass an ATS (applicant tracking system).
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., composing resumes for C-level executives).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you about the effectiveness of a freelancer’s resume writing.
How to write an effective resume writing job post
沙巴体育足球开户With a clear picture of your ideal resume writer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective resume writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From keyword research to proofreading to writing a resume from scratch, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or software, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create a professional resume that will help you land that dream job? Log in and post your resume writing job on Upwork today.
RESUME WRITERS FAQ
What is a resume writer?
Resume writers help you translate your career story into a professional resume designed to resonate with HR professionals in your industry. They can help you pass application tracking systems and electronic filters by optimizing your resume with keywords specific to your target role.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in resume writing freelancers:
- Background in coaching, recruiting, and/or HR
- Persuasive writing and copywriting
- Editing and proofreading
- Keyword research
沙巴体育足球开户Resume writers help professionals create polished resumes that can bypass electronic filters and get noticed by HR personnel.
Why hire resume writers?
The trick to finding top resume writers is to identify your needs. Are you trying to target a high-profile role in your industry? Or are you trying to rebrand for a major career switch? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a resume writer?
沙巴体育足球开户Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced resume writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their resume writing more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.